Thursday, January 11, 2007

Proposed Fort Wayne Smoking Ban - Kudos to Councilman Crawford (R)

It's a rare occasion indeed that I give praise to a Republican politician. But Councilman John Crawford's leadership on the proposed Fort Wayne smoking ordinance deserves all the praise I can give. While the Allen County Commissioners "compromised", Crawford stuck his neck out and fully supported a comprehensive ban in all public places.

Now there are rumblings that some in his own party are upset and possibly preparing a primary challenge to unseat him - such is democracy I suppose. But at the end of the day, Mr Crawford can say he did the right thing no matter what happens in the upcoming primary.

I believe some issues cut across party lines and for me THIS is one of them. Mr Crawford has done the right thing, stood up when others wouldn't and he deserves support from the people of this city.

No comments: