Tuesday, July 03, 2007

County Commissioners Should Choose Mike Sylvester (UPDATED)

UPDATE: Well nevermind. In my haste I made a poor assumption that Mike was just outside of the city limits but it turns out he's not. I should've know better but thanks to Karen Goldner for pointing out my oversight...

As required by state law (brought to the forefront by Mitch Harper) Ed Rousseau and Paul Shaffer are off the Fort Wayne-Allen County Convention and Tourism Authority board. State law requires members to be residents within the county but outside the city limits and both Shaffer and Rousseau do not meet this requirement.

Now the county commissioners need to replace them and I believe local blogger, and CPA, Mike Sylvester would make an excellent choice. I must apologize to Mike as he has no idea I'm writing this and I'm not sure if he even wants to be on the board. Mike is a fiscal conservative with a strong belief in open government. This particular board needs people with that ideology. In an editorial, the JG explains the importance of this particular board:
The county commissioners need to replace them with the best possible appointees – and do it as quickly as responsibly possible. The authority must soon decide on the city’s request to allocate $250,000 a year for 10 years to the Harrison Square project.

The convention and tourism authority’s most visible community role is in operating Grand Wayne Center. But the authority also serves as the local capital improvements board and, if a number of local officials have their way, could someday wield significant new power in approving and financing capital projects.

As a CPA Mike Sylvester is clearly qualified for this position. Mike should throw his hat in the ring and the County Commissioners should nominate him to serve this community...

7 comments:

Dan Turkette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Goldner said...

Mike actually lives in the City limits.

Jeff Pruitt said...

Are you sure about that? I assumed that he was outside being that far up North. I'm assuming since that would be your district then you probably know.

Shucks, I guess I'll take the story down...

LP Mike Sylvester said...

I would have loved to serve on that Board; however, I am a resident of Fort Wayne...

Mike Sylvester

Parson said...

Why isn't he person allowed to live in the city? (just curious)

Jeff Pruitt said...

I have no idea - it's just state law

Robert Enders said...

Here's a question. Who would be qualified under state law if Unigov took effect? How do they handle this in Indy?