Monday, December 17, 2007

Prosecutor Responds to Kelty Dismissal

According to the JG, special prosecutor Dan Sigler has filed a response to the Kelty legal team's motion to dismiss. Also, Sigler has requested that part of Kelty's grand jury testimony be released to the public. Sounds like he wants the public to see the context of Kelty's testimony related to the perjury charges.

If it's not available anywhere else by tomorrow (can't do it today) then I'll head down to the courthouse and post Sigler's response for anyone that wants to read it...

4 comments:

J Q Taxpayer said...

If they release part of it I hope it is in total so we don't end up with only part of statements.

I am not sure why Sigler wants part of grand jury statements released. I thought this case was going to be tried in court.

mark garvin said...

Pretty transparent effort on Sigler's part. He's worried about losing the motion to dismiss, so he wants to smear Kelty in the press with testimony that may be embarassing, even if not supportive of criminal charges. His request to release the testimony is making Kelty's "politically motivated" claim ring a little more true. I thought prosecutors were supposed to avoid prejudicing the pool of potential jurors, not fight things out in the press.

Jeff Pruitt said...

Well I'm not sure what the legal rational is for releasing the testimony so I'm not going to comment. But I agree with JQ, I would rather have all the testimony in the public domain than bits and pieces...

bobett said...

There is not a legal rational for the prosecutor to make this request.

Of course, the testimony of Kelty
will be spoon feed by the JG in bits & pieces and distorted.