Friday, October 19, 2007

Campaign Finance Reports

I went down to the election board at noon and scoured through the campaign finance filings. I'm not going to bother posting every candidate's numbers but I'll include the ones that caught my eye.

Matt Kelty
Total - $313,575
Cash on Hand - 10,012.56

Ouch. Matt did better than the $200k I predicted but only has $10k left compared to Tom Henry's $300k. Several of the city council candidates have more cash on hand than Matt Kelty. Also, $45k of the amount raised is specifically earmarked for his legal defense fund. It's never good when 15% of your fundraising has to go towards criminal legal fees. Kelty did spend $45k on a TV media buy with a company called Strategic Media. I know some criticized Tom Henry for not using a local ad agency despite the fact that the one he chose is probably the premiere political ad agency in the country. So those critics should be equally dismayed that Strategic Media's address was listed in Ohio. There also seems to be some confusion about whether or not the Jehl's loaned Matt another $10k. I know Kevin Knuth was looking into this so I'll just wait and see what he comes up with.

UPDATE: I forgot to add that the Rost loan doesn't appear to be paid back as the Kelty campaign has over $100k in debt according to the latest filing

2nd District
Don Schmidt raised approximately $10k and has about $500 cash on hand. Meanwhile his opponent, Karen Goldner, raked in a huge amount of cash - $47k with $34k left. I knew Karen had been campaigning hard but this took me by surprise - nice work. Karen's run a constant grassroots campaign and also has a ton of cash to spend down the stretch. This will be an interesting race to watch.

At Large
No surprise that John Crawford raised big numbers - $143k. Crawford is known as an excellent fundraiser and the people trying to oust him had better be organized.

John Shoaff also reported an impressive $44k with $35k left. With that much money on hand we should see/hear a lot more from Shoaff down the stretch.

4th District
Chris Stewart raised an impressive $15k despite his late entry into the race which equals what his opponent Mitch Harper raised.

Libertarians
They raised some money with Doug Horner leading the way. I forgot to write his numbers down but I think it was around $2k. Libertarians Brightbill and Diaz showed $0 raised.

8 comments:

Kevin Knuth said...

The 10K listed is the SAME loan from before.

Jeff Pruitt said...

That's what I thought when I read it but I thought I'd wait for your analysis...

Unknown said...

Being friends of the Jehls I can assure you it is indeed the same loan.

This is why that even though I support Tom Henry in this election it has been hard for me to listen to the abuse the Jehl family has been thrown into.

Jeff Pruitt said...

What abuse is that?

I don't recall any media source attacking the Jehl family...

sigmund5 said...

Maybe they should be more careful in evaluating the honesty and intelligence of people that they loan money to.

sigmund5 said...

On what has he spent so much money?

sigmund5 said...

Channel 21 said that the family hate group is paying 400 bucks for a week of spots on a station that nobody listens to. what dolts.

Jeff Pruitt said...

The stupidest part of the ad is that the people that this ad appeals to are already going to support Kelty, yet undecideds are going to be turned off...