Thursday, May 31, 2007

Quick Summary of Kelty-Bopp Press Conference

1. Bopp assures everyone of his expertise at least half a dozen times.

2. Bopp went through a convoluted argument as to why a personal loan from an individual to a candidate (not the candidate's committee) need not be reported.

3. Fort Wayne Journal Gazette Editorial page editor Tracy Warner asks if it's legal for one individual to loan another individual money for the purposes of loaning a candidate money.

Bopp becomes agitated at the volume of Tracy's question (it was loud in there) and asks, I kid you not, "Is he a member of the press?" He then asked him his name and assured him that it was perfectly legal to do what he suggests. Then he arrogantly added:
"If you don't like it then there's a road, it's called I69 and it ends in the middle of Indiana at the state legislature"

4. Bopp and Kelty admit that the loan was made for the purpose of the campaign

5. Bopp says he would not encourage candidates to report their personal loans and also stated - "There's no lack of transparency here"

6. Ben Lanka of the JG asked if Kelty expected to use campaign money to repay himself so he could repay the loan. Kelty responded "I don't see why I couldn't". Bopp agreed.

7. Press packet included copies of the promissory note and Bopp's resume - no mention of his case with Tom Delay of course.

I'll hopefully have more to come later...

4 comments:

thomas said...

Thanks for the update Jeff. I look forward to more great coverage from you later.

Jeff Pruitt said...

Thanks Thomas. Just trying to do some original reporting to make sure everyone gets to see parts of the story that aren't being reported elsewhere...

Karen Goldner said...

I appreciated the timeliness of your post, too, Jeff. And now that I figured out again how my little-used Blogger account works, I am able to tell you that.

Jeff Pruitt said...

Good to have you back in mix Karen...